January 11, 2013

Emotionally and Physically Detaching: A Tool for Empaths

An empath's best coping method is the ability to emotionally and physically detach from others or a situation. An empath is a feeler, but we know when we’ve reached our limit. If the emotional burden of another becomes too great, we can pull away without being hateful, angry, or upset with that person. It is an essential act of self-preservation that must be utilized.

I find that being in a crowd for a long period of time is still overwhelming for me sometimes. So, for social gatherings where there will be a lot of unfamiliar energy, I either stay near someone I know or engage in conversation with someone whose energy feels good—I generally gravitate toward children! If I start to feel overwhelmed, I’ll find a corner where I can observe the action without being antisocial or placing myself right in the middle of things. That allows me to take breaks without being missed while I go outside or to a quiet room to get away from the cacophony of energy. If my husband goes with me to a social event and I start feeling over stimulated, I can stand near him or hold his hand for a moment to help ground myself with his energy. If I do this several times, he knows I am ready to leave and will look for a way to politely say our goodbyes. If I am going to a function without my husband, I may drive my own car so I’m not stranded if I need to leave.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PURCHASE the paperback book, Whose Stuff Is This? Finding Freedom from the Thoughts, Feelings, and Energy of Those Around You at http://tinyurl.com/EmpathAmazon.
The e-book version is now available for Kindle, iPhone, iPad, and other digital reading devices on Smashwords.com. Get the PDF on the author's website: WeAreOneinSpirit.com.
Why not have someone read the book to you? Check out the audio book MP3 file version.

The author, Yvonne Perry, is available as a spiritual coach. See http://weare1inspirit.com/services/coaching/ for information about a free 15-minute evaluation to see if coaching is right for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment